Quick facts about the Sacral Chakra
- color: orange
- location: at your sacrum: between the base of your spine and your naval
- represents: creativity
- sanskrit name: Svadhisthana
When your 2nd chakra is open and aligned, you feel:
- in touch with your emotions
- present in your body
- your relationships with others are nurturing
- comfortable with sexuality
- comfortable in your own skin
When this chakra is out of alignment, you may feel:
- lack of motivation
- ruled by your emotions
- unable to have intimate, close relationships
- co-dependency with other people or substances
- low self confidence
- lower back pain, hip issues, genital or sexual problems, infertility
Tips on bringing balance to this chakra:
- wear or surround yourself with the color orange
- eat orange foods like carrots, sweet potatoes, oranges, etc
- dance, sing, or other activities that make you happy
- notice your emotional triggers and how your body reacts
- cry, laugh, and release emotions through catharsis to release build up.
Yoga Poses to Wake up your Sacral Chakra:
Upavistha Konasana: Wide-Angle Seated Forward Bend
In a seated position, straighten out your legs and spread them into a V-shape. You can keep your torso upright, or start to crawl your fingertips away from your body, inviting your elbows to touch the ground. This pose stimulates the abdominal organs it also strengthens the spine and opens the sacral chakra.
Eka Pada Rajakapotasana: Pigeon Pose
From down dog or table top, bring your right knee to your right wrist, bending at the knee 90° if possible. Flex your right foot toes to keep your knee safe.
You can walk your hands back by your hips, and keep your torso lifted, or you can crawl your hands forward towards your right shin.
This is a great way to release tension in your groin, hips, and buttock. Notice where you are “holding on” and send your breath to these areas of tightness to surrender into the pose more. If emotions come to the surface, celebrate them! and let them go.